Some Ruby topics that don’t fit into a more specific category. Some of these articles are mine, posted to engineering.appfolio.com from my time as their Ruby fellow.
Social and Community:
- How is Ruby Different in Japan? - I was surprised at how different usage of Ruby was in Japan, so I wrote about it (thanks to Zach Scott who helped a lot with this!)
- CRuby, MRI, JRuby, RubySpec, Rubinius, YARV - A Little Bit of Ruby Naming - wonder what various names mean in the Ruby community? A bit of a glossary
- A Ruby Troll Story - a short fun story about a troll coming after Sarah Mei, and an older, less-fun story about what trolls have stolen from our community
- Why Do They Say Rails Doesn’t Scale? - a historical perspective for the young'uns; please don’t be the next person to read only the headline and come after me for what you assume every later line says.
- Ruby and Haskell: Culture is What You Don’t Say - a fun compare/contrast between languages after I worked through the Purple Book to understand Monads properly
- RubyConf Malaysia and Getting the Most from a Distant Conference
- Diving Into Japanese for Ruby - for working on the Ruby core language, it can be useful to pick up a little Japanese; here’s how I did
- [Why Ruby Should Stay a Laughingstock] - Ruby takes a big hit on geek credibility to stay useful to businesspeople - it’s worth it for you to know the specifics
- The Ruby Community is a Loud, Bright, Wonderful Mess
War Stories and Debugging Stories: